Dress No. 1 Mondays Oct. 21 - Nov. 18, 7:00-9:00pm
Dress No. 1: 100 Acts of Sewing (Advanced Beginner Sewing Class)
Dates: Mondays October 21 through November 18th (5 Week Class)
Time: 7:00 - 9:00pm
Instructor: Cie Bond
A great first garment for the beginner sewist (or anyone else!). We’ll begin the first day discussing fabric options, measuring for size and tracing the pattern. Sewing begins the second week and will continue through week 5 when the dress is completed. Each class will introduce new skills and aspects of garment sewing. Time and fabric permitting, make a belted or unbelted version. Access to a sewing machine between classes is highly recommended; this way you can take your time and your sewing area will be ready to go for your second dress (and third!) after the class ends. You'll have a closet full of them in no time.
Skills Requirement: Must be able to operate a sewing machine including threading, winding/threading a bobbin, sewing a straight line. You’ve sewn 1 or 2 small projects.
Skills Learned: A-line Dress Construction with External Pockets
- Reading a pattern
- Tracing and cutting a pattern
- French seaming
- Making bias tape and applying bias binding
- Techniques for making and applying external pockets
Supplies Needed: Fabric requirements will be discussed on the first day of class. It is not necessary to bring fabric to the first class. (Students receive 15% off all class supplies purchased from Evanston Stitchworks.)
- Your own copy of the pattern: Dress No. 1 100 Acts of Sewing (it’s a legal thing)
- 2 - 2.5 yards of woven cotton fabric (44-45” wide), depending on size (optional: 1 fat quarter contrasting fabric for pockets).
- To avoid shrinkage, be sure to pre-wash, dry and iron your fabric before the first day of class
- 1 yard Swedish Tracing paper (available by the 1/2 yard in the shop)
- Coordinating all-purpose thread
- Machines and tools for use in the studio
- White, off-white or black thread for use in class
Recommended Supplies: To be discussed on the first day of class
- Fabric scissors
- Pin cushion
- Seam ripper
- Marking tool or pencil
- Hem guide or clear acrylic ruler at least 12" long
- Tape measure
Registration and Cancellation**: Please register in advance. Classes with less than 50% enrollment may be cancelled at the discretion of the instructor within 72 hours of the first class. In this case, a full refund will be given. Full refunds granted up to 2 weeks before first scheduled class. After that, and up to 72 hrs before a scheduled class, cancellations will result in credit toward another class on a stand-by basis. Cancellations within 72hrs or less of a scheduled class are non-refundable/non-transferrable unless the class sells out.
**By registering for this class, you are agreeing to our registration and cancellation policies.
We Also Recommend