Dress No. 1 (Advanced Beginner Sewing Class)
Dress No. 1: 100 Acts of Sewing (Advanced Beginner Sewing Class)
Dates: 3 Sessions, Friday Mornings Sept. 29, Oct. 6 and 13
Time: 10:00am - Noon
Cost: $74 (Limit 5)
A great first garment for the advanced beginner (or anyone else!). We’ll begin the pattern on the first day, work on it during the week at home between each class, and finish up in the last day. Make a belted or unbelted version.
Skills Requirement: Must be able to operate a sewing machine including threading, winding/threading a bobbin, sewing a straight line. You’ve sewn 1 or 2 small projects.
Skills Learned: A-line Dress Construction with External Pockets
- Reading a pattern
- Tracing and cutting a pattern
- French seaming
- Making bias tape and applying bias binding
- Techniques for making and applying external pockets
Supplies Needed: You will need to bring the following supplies to the first class session. (Students receive 15% off all class supplies purchased from Evanston Stitchworks.)
- Your own copy of the pattern: Dress No. 1 100 Acts of Sewing (it’s a legal thing)
- 2 - 2.5 yards of woven cotton fabric (44-45” wide), depending on size
- To avoid shrinkage, be sure to pre-wash, dry and iron your fabric before the first day of class
- Coordinating all-purpose thread
- Machines and tools for use in the studio
- Swedish tracing paper to trace your pattern
- White, off-white or black thread for use in class
Recommended Supplies: To be discussed on the first day of class
- Fabric scissors
- Pin cushion
- Seam ripper
- Marking tool or pencil
- Hem guide
- Tape measure
- 6” x 24” Clear acrylic quilting ruler
Registration and Cancellation**: Please register in advance. Classes with less than 50% enrollment may be cancelled at the discretion of the instructor within 72 hours of the first class. In this case, a full refund will be given. Full refunds granted up to 2 weeks before first scheduled class. After that, and up to 72 hrs before a scheduled class, cancellations will result in credit toward another class on a stand-by basis. Cancellations within 72hrs or less of a scheduled class are non-refundable/non-transferrable unless the class sells out.
**By registering for this class, you are agreeing to our registration and cancellation policies.
We Also Recommend