Make a Quilt: Half Square Triangles (Advanced Beginner Class)
Make a Quilt (Advanced Beginner Class)
Modern Baby Quilt / Wall Hanging: Large Scale Half Square Triangle Quilt
Dates: 4 sessions, Sunday Afternoons September 10, 17, 24 AND October 1
Time: 2 - 5pm
Cost: $150 (Limit 6)
Teacher: Sarah Evans
Let’s make a quilt! Join expert modern quilter Sarah Evans (see her bio in our “about Us” page) for a four-week course in making a half-square triangle (HST) quilt from start to finish. Each week, Sarah will introduce you to a new component of the project which you will work on in class, including cutting, piecing, line quilting and binding. At the end of each class, you’ll take what you’ve learned home to work on for the next week. (Think of it as homework with an optional glass of wine.) At the end of the class, you’ll have made a 41” x 41” wall hanging/baby quilt. If you stop by the shop, you'll see the sample in the window!
Skills Requirement: Comfortable operating a modern sewing machine including threading the needle and threading/winding/changing a bobbin.
- Safe use of a rotary cutter and quilt ruler techniques
- Quilt design and construction
- Pin basting and line quilting
- Use of a quarter-inch quilting foot and walking foot
- How to make and attach French fold binding
Supplies Needed: You will need the following supplies for this class. (Students receive 15% off all class supplies purchased from Evanston Stitchworks.)
(* indicates item needed on the first day of class)
- * 2 yards of 42” - 44” wide quilting weight cotton fabric. (One yard light, one yard dark value color.)
- 2 yards 42” - 44” wide quilting weight cotton fabric for the backing
- ½ yard 42”-44” wide quilting weight cotton fabric for binding
- 1.5 yards cotton batting (minimum 41” x 41”)
- * 1 12.5” x 12.5” quilter's acrylic ruler
- Use of a sewing machine between classes
- Coordinating 50wt thread
Recommended Supplies: To be discussed in the first class. These items will be available for use in class and for purchase in the shop.
- 45mm rotary cutter
- self-healing cutting mat
- light spray starch
- quilting pins (thin glass headed)
- pin cushion
- seam ripper
- small scissors or snippers
- hand sewing needle
- pencil or marking tool
We Will Provide:
- Modern sewing machine and tools for use in class
- White or off-white all purpose thread to be used in class
- Bringing and using your own machine is optional. You will need a quarter-inch quilting foot and walking foot. (Please let us know in advance if you plan to bring and use your own machine. Please arrive at least 10 minutes early to set up.)
Registration and Cancellation**: Please register in advance. Classes with less than 50% enrollment may be cancelled at the discretion of the instructor within 72 hours of the first class. In this case, a full refund will be given. Full refunds granted up to 2 weeks before first scheduled class. After that, and up to 72 hrs before a scheduled class, cancellations will result in credit toward another class on a stand-by basis. Cancellations within 72hrs or less of a scheduled class are non-refundable/non-transferrable unless the class sells out.
**By registering for this class, you are agreeing to our registration and cancellation policies.
We Also Recommend