Top Down Raglan Sweater (Advanced Beginner)
Dates: 6 Sessions, Thursday Evenings September 21, 28, October 5, 12, 19 and 25
Time: 7:00 - 8:30/9:00pm
Cost: $150 (Limit 6)
Teacher: Abigail Bruxvoort
This class is ideal for those with basic knitting experience who would like to take their skills to the next level and learn how to knit a sweater. We will be knitting a cozy, oversized sweater with an optional pocket. Class participants will be guided through the pattern step-by- step over the course of six weeks. Some “homework” will be assigned between classes in order to ensure that the sweater is finished in six weeks.
Skills Requirement: Must be able to cast on, cast off, knit stitch, purl stitch. Experience knitting in the round is helpful, but not necessarily required.
Skills Learned: Basic top-down raglan sweater construction
- Reading a pattern
- Calculating gauge, swatching
- Backwards loop cast on
- Knitting in the round
- Knit increases
- Finishing (blocking and weaving in ends)
- Knitting with double-pointed needles
- Knitting with circular needles
Supplies Needed: You will need to bring the following supplies to the first class session. (Students receive 15% off all class supplies purchased from Evanston Stitchworks.)
- Your own copy of the pattern: Quince and Co.'s Montagne by Melissa LeBarre available for purchase on Ravelry or in the shop
- 770 – 990 yards “chunky” weight wool yarn (look for yarn labels that read: 12 stitches to 4” on size 11 needles)
- One 16’’ circular needle in size US 11 [8 mm]
- One 32’’ (or 29’’) circular needle in size US 11 [8 mm]
- One set DPNs (double pointed needles) in size US 11 [8 mm] OR (for those wishing to learn the magic loop method) one 40’’ circular needle in size US 11 [8 mm]
- Tape measure
- Yarn needle
- Large stitch markers
- Wool wash is not required but is strongly recommended
If you are having difficulty determining how much yarn you should buy, feel free to contact: email@example.com for help.
Registration and Cancellation**: Please register in advance. Classes with less than 50% enrollment may be cancelled at the discretion of the instructor within 72 hours of the first class. In this case, a full refund will be given. Full refunds granted up to 2 weeks before first scheduled class. After that, and up to 72 hrs before a scheduled class, cancellations will result in credit toward another class on a stand-by basis. Cancellations within 72hrs or less of a scheduled class are non-refundable/non-transferrable unless the class sells out.
**By registering for this class, you are agreeing to our registration and cancellation policies.
We Also Recommend